March 12, 2021
GLAD (WP1 T5)
The Public Speaking Workshops are a series of 3 consecutive virtual masterclasses, led by a professional trainer/coach, in which students get the strategies and tools they need to deliver a memorable speech.
Scope: 60-90 minute foundational masterclass session of max 5 participants per group
MASTERCLASS#1: STORY STRUCTURE
In this session participants will learn about information hierarchies, cognitive loading, and story types. We’ll get to know each other, collaborate, and share groups learnings together. Participants will leave with a few exercises to solidify learnings and prepare for the next session.
- Introduction to story structures, information hierarchy, and cognitive loading
- Group activity where we ask questions, challenge past behaviours, and apply introduction lessons in a constructive setting.
- Participants will deliver the first versions of their talks and try to adjust the structure according to lessons learned and explored in session.
MASTERCLASS#2: DESIGNING YOUR TALK
In this session participants will learn about how to apply best practise design techniques to display information that’s clear, powerful – and beautiful. We’ll work together on setting a design language for our presentations, and collaborate on creative ideas for our stories.
- Introduction to design techniques, platforms, and structures to use. We’ll also consider the one thing you need do before putting your talk together.
- Group activity/workshop where we brainstorm on design language, and creative ideas for story options. (activity subject to change)
- Participants will ask questions, share their designs and challenge each other to improve designs (constructive feedback).
MASTERCLASS#3: DELIVERING A MEMORABLE TALK
In this session we will deep dive into the presentations themselves, suggest critical improvements, and collaborate on refining their execution. Group feedback and presentation theory will play a major role in this masterclass. Participants will leave with the ability to present their talk in a quick, effective and punchy way.
- Participants will present their ideas and receive immediate feedback from colleagues, and the moderator.
- We’ll deep dive into some of the most common presentation challenges and how to overcome them. They’ll be closely linked to the performance of the group and their own particular needs.
- We’ll close with a Q&A session, and open the floor to specific questions we can focus on to enhance each others’ performance.
|STORY STRUCTURE||SPEECH DESIGN||SPEECH DELIVERY|
|GROUP 1 (FULL)||12 MAR||22 MAR||7 APR|
|GROUP 2||8 APR||20 APR||28 APR|
|GROUP 3||18 MAY||1 JUN||15 JUN|
The training is primarily for participants of the Future Talent Programme. Not a Future Talent Participant? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE TRAINER
Michael Koenka, Koenka Partners is the award-winning, vlogging, legend-making pitch and investment consultant for Ideas from Europe, Singularity University, TEDConferences, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and some of the most successful agencies in the world.
“I’ve helped a lot of highly technical experts get more out of their teams and learn new, accelerated ways of tackling problems. What’s most fascinating to me is scaling relationships; humans are more nuanced and complex than any technology could ever be. I derive great fulfilment from helping others achieve their full potential and build durable, meaningful connections. I’m obsessed with technology and helping experts achieve the impossible. My goal is to be an expert’s first call. This isn’t something you can add to a project brief. It must be earned through trust and delivery. The only thing better than growing my family office is seeing our clients learn, grow and achieve more.”